Welcome to the WV AAP Medical Students page! There are three medical schools within the state of West Virginia- Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine in Lewisburg and West Virginia University School of Medicine in Morgantown. Each school listed has a Pediatric Clerkship Director and a Pediatric Interest Group. The WV Chapter of the AAP is in continuous contact with faculty, residents and medical students within each school through various programming events and activities. Through these connections, we strive to further medical student involvement within our state and on a national level. To connect you with your national pediatric medical student “home”, please see the website for the Section on Medical Students, Residents and Fellowship Trainees SOMSRFT or the Medical Student webpage
Some of the opportunities available to medical students include:
- National Membership . Medical students are now considered “official” members of the AAP and have been granted full membership benefits. There is an annual fee of $20 for national membership dues. Please see the variety of benefits available at this link . If interested, please fill out an application .
- Mentoring opportunities. What career path in Pediatrics are you interested in? We can help identify a pediatrician in the state of WV who may serve the role of a mentor to you as you begin your career. Hoping to connect to a pediatrician outside the state? Please visit AAP Mentorship Program . This service is free of charge to all AAP medical student members
- Attendance to WV AAP Chapter meetings . Attend the Spring meeting and learn about common problems and current events facing physicians within the field of pediatrics. Here, you will have the opportunity to meet and network with pediatricians and residents from across our great state.
- Opportunity to attend National Conference and Exhibition in Washington, DC. There will be over 350 educational sessions including practical hands-on learning and networking in addition to the largest pediatric technical exhibit of its kind. As AAP members, medical students are able to attend the national conference FOR FREE. This year’s event will be in Washington, DC from October 24-27. In addition, Saturday, October 24 will include events specifically geared towards medical students including a “how to advocate for kids” presentation and a residency panel discussion with three pediatric residency program directors. For more information, please see AAP National Conference
- Leadership Roles. The WV AAP Chapter wants to develop the next generation of Pediatric leaders. There are numerous opportunities available to allow medical students to voice their opinions on various sections and committees.
The WV AAP Chapter is here to meet your needs as pediatricians-in-training. For more information on opportunities for medical students interested in pediatrics, please contact Ali Mols at [email protected] .
- Pediatric Interest Group Pages:
- Pediatric Residency Programs in WV